Evaluation and Management (E/M) coding is notoriously difficult, mainly because coders have trouble accurately selecting a code from among a range of seemingly appropriate choices. Consequently, providers make more mistakes with E/M coding than coding for any other item or service. This new resource offers detailed and advanced guidance on selecting the appropriate E/M codes, with helpful resources designed for difficult E/M coding situations.
Features and benefits
- Updated “Bell Curve” data shows E/M code utilization by specialty. Also includes average charge and payment amount for E/M services, by specialty.
- Includes any new changes. E/M codes and/or guidelines and new information pertaining to new areas of concern as a result of published audits are covered.
- Review of the E/M rules and protocols.
- Helpful advice. Includes insights into difficult E/M coding situations such as well-patient exams, H1N1 flu, and other common, but problematic, coding scenarios.
- Updated E/M template examples for EMRs. Accurate code selection with guidelines for using templates help you to avoid over-coding and explain how they relates to Meaningful Use.
- Review what auditors are targeting, such as critical care.
- Compiles payer and specialty association guidance on E/M coding issues.
- Documentation guidance and key factors. Provides proper E/M code selection, plus advice to help clinicians make an objective review of subjective information.